Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Cloud Nine


So for my birthday I asked my mum to buy me some Cloud 9 flannels. They were pretty costly as they seem to be only available in the States and I had to pay import tax on them, but I saw this pattern on Cloud 9 and I just really wanted to make it.


I really like the pattern as it's modern and retro all at the same time and the flannel is so soft. After spending years on my last quilt, it just felt so nice to do something easy and straightforwards.


It only took a few hours to cut the strips, sew them together. By the end of the day I had the backing on and was sewing it together. I didn't quite follow the pattern at this point as it's for a baby and I had used some offcuts of wadding so I thought it needed some slightly more substantial quilting.


I did pin the quilt as opposed to doing my usual tacking. I do find however that pins ping out and scratch me, so used quilter's safety pins on the edges.


I ended up doing simple straight lines inbetween the owls in big, white, perle stitches.


And here is the finished thing. It's bigger than I expected, but I really enjoyed doing it as it took a week in total.

3 comments:

Jess said...

That's ace! I love the owl fabric.

Claire Vincent said...

Love the owl fabric, who's baby is it for?
c x

Pippa said...

Gorgeous! And one a week?! Well done!