Sunday, September 12, 2010
In honour of the local street party, I decided to make some bunting. I didn't want to sacrifice any of my stash though so I decided to do a shabby chic version using my growing amount of scraps which I can pooled into the large scrap bag.
I didn't have whole pieces so I had to sew bits together.
I got a bit carried away and just started sewing anything I could find onto it.
I didn't make it doubled sided, I just got the pinking shears out and went for it. I quite like the results. I made one lot with some bias binding I had. Hand sewing seemed to take forever so I made a second batch on the machine.
Ta-da! it looked a bit small in the end but at least it was something
Friday, September 03, 2010
So in the time it takes me to sew two bits of material together...wrongly, my mum whips up this little number and gives it to me. This was all hand applique and hand quilted. It must have consumed many hours. My mum is my quilting guru.
This is an adaptation of a classic Robert Callahan quilt pattern. My mum spilt tea all over the pattern book and we had a real job finding another on the internet for her. She was so pleased in the end though when a neat and tidy version came along. Berries seem to be the bane of her life though. No material is ever the right hue and then she is not happy with how she makes them. I was too amazed by the whole thing to even look at the berries!
For any appliquers out there, here is the technique she uses for small circles. That's what I bought those precut circles for. I am going to try and design my own simple applique pattern soon... gulp.