Saturday, May 12, 2012

Swoon Leftovers

20120512-P1200696.jpg It was such a sunny, lazy morning today. I had no emails, no pressing things to do. In fact I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because no one was emailing me. So I decided to have a think about all the mini triangles of waste material from the Swoon quilt. So I set up shop and got the chain piecing machine cranked into action. 20120512-P1200692.jpg I'd sewn half of them when I realised just how many I was wasting. So I just had to go back and finish off the ones I hadn't started on. I hate going backwards in general, but today felt like a good day of nothing in which to get to grips with the task. It was much quicker than I thought. 20120512-P1200699.jpg Then it was just a case of cutting and ironing each one flat. Having to do flat open seams is annoying with an iron so I have started using my seam flattening tool. It really is a great tool. 20120512-P1200700.jpg Here it is. I thoroughly recommend one to everyone. It speeds up the job no end and makes ironing much easier. In fact, you don't really need to iron them afterwards as they go pretty flat, but I want it to be as perfect as possible.
I couldn't decide what to do with them so I had a hunt on Flickr and Pinterest and saw from Little Scraps of Happiness which lends itself perfectly to the offcuts I have. Swoon leftover.jpg So I drew up a diagram. I couldn't decide whether to group the colours or not so I had a tinker and I think grouping each corner slightly will work. 20120512-P1200703.jpg So now I have my station set up and I am trimming in front of the TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I've got lots of scraps. Feeling inspired now!