Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Progress

MapleO

So I spent the last few days trying to finish this quilt off. I put some ramshackle extra bits on the sides of the single girl blocks as they were too small. I don't know how I messed that up. I purposefully made them a bit bigger so I could trim them down to fit, but they ended up being too small. Stupid maths. You can see the tiny strip I have added on the right hand side of the block. I decided they were just going to be a feature.

MapleO

Then it was onto the sashing. I've been sewing a bit in the evenings of late just so I can get it done. It's been really nice picking out favourite scraps and sewing them together. I haven't been hugely accurate with my cutting by I am okay with that. I like the hodge podge nature of it. It feels warm and welcoming already. Sorry the pictures are so dark but it was evening. The mankey green carpet doesn't help. We'll all laugh about this carpet and the blue walls one day when it's all been fixed up white and pretty.


MapleO

I'm really pleased with some of the details. I loved Amanda's quilt so much that I really tried to emulate as many details as I could, even though the fabrics are different. I feel that everything fits really well together, even though I used a lot of different fabrics, many of which I wasn't too sure about. Basically the ones with lettering in them and some of the creams and whites together. But I am really pleased with how it all looks.

 MapleO

I wasn't sure how much I should make things line up. I didn't want to make it over accurate as Amanda's has a lovely free flowing nature to it, so I let it slide. It was quite difficult to let go, but I did and I am really pleased with it as a result. I wasn't that into the butterfly print but I feel it's worked pretty well. It was pretty wasteful though as I only cut out the bits I liked.

The finished quilt top is 52x61" which is not the same as Amanda's but thepn my maths is terrible. I'm going to try a new wadding with this quilt. Mum is against this idea. She uses Warm and Natural for everything. I need something a bit cheaper really. I've used Hobbs 80/20 a few times which is great. It can be a bit uneven in thickness but I can't say I've ever noticed on the finished quilt before. So I might try Quilter's Dream Puff as I want this to be scrunchy. I haven't prewashed any of the fabric specially so it will scrunch. I've never done this before. It could go horribly wrong as many of the older fabric scraps have been prewashed. I even used to wash wadding. Experiment time!

So now I just need to create the backing and baste it. I have bought some more Pearl Bracelets for the backing. Basting is my least favourite part of the process so we'll see how long it takes me. I'm tempted to buy some 505 and give it a try again. 

No comments: